Tuesday, January 06, 2009

We Love You, Travis



There are a few things I promised some of my lovely blog friends I’d post today... but this is far more important. Our good friend, Travis Erwin, has had a family tragedy and I’d like anyone who happens upon my blog, regardless of faith or persuasion, to stop for a second and send him a prayer and love – or at least good thoughts.

The Erwin’s home burned to the ground this past Sunday. From the looks of his post, there is nothing left. Thankfully, Travis and his family are all safe and healthy, but it is still such a tremendous loss.

Most of you already know Travis, but for those of you who don’t, he is among the finest writers I’ve ever had the privilege to talk to and a great human being as well. He is a husband, father, kids' football coach, sometimes mall Santa, meat eater, Texan, and friend. If you’re reading this, Travis, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Our friend, Erica posted about setting up a fund of some sort to help the Erwin’s through this. When I know more information, I’ll post it here.

Update!!!!!

Habitat for Travis is taking donations. Many thanks to Stephen Parrish for setting it up. And to Ello, Moonrat, and Erica Orloff, who got involved as soon as they heard. I love the writers around these parts.

As a side note, I can't afford much, either, but I'm going to give what little bit I can. I hope you all will too.

3 comments:

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Merry, It just breaks my heart just thinking about what his family is going through. I can't believe it. Just can't believe it.

Merry Monteleone said...

Me too, Ello, I've had a lump in my throat since I heard.

While I'm so glad that they are all okay and no one was hurt, I can't imagine how devestating it is to lose everything - pictures and momentos that can't be replaced... and I hope to God Travis had a copy of his novels somewhere other than in the house...

Spy Scribbler said...

I'm so glad they're okay, just so relieved. I've been quite inappropriately happy that they're okay, even though I'm so sorry about their house. So very sorry!

I told my students, and I now have a nice pile of little cars to send to his sons! I'm so proud the kids were so generous!