Monday, December 07, 2009

Christmas Songs, Writing Style...

Me loves me some bloggy contests. Over at Miss Snark’s First Victim, there’s a Christmas Song Parody Contest right now. You can follow the link to see the rules posted at her place, and the comment section is open to submissions today and tomorrow (Dec. 7 & 8) – she’s actually shutting comments at 8 am est on the 9th. Oh, and there’s a great prize – agent, Lauren MacLeod, will be offering a query letter critique to the winner.

Personally, I just love the fun. There are a lot of awesome entries if you get time to do a little reading. Here is mine, in case you’re interested, to the tune of Silver Bells:

Query Hell

Busy writing
Keyboard fighting
My tenth draft took its toll
Sent it out
To my beta’s
Sharp scalpels
Then there’s tapping
Keyboard rapping
Fixing hole after hole
‘Til it’s good as this writer can get.

Query hell, query hell
Rejections come, what a pity
Email pings, damn this thing
When will it be a request?

Made my prose tight
Got the voice right
Through each perfect-paced scene
Followed each
Agents’ wish to
The letter
Got the format
Query’s down pat
She won’t know that I’m green
Yes, it’s good as this writer can get.

Query hell, query hell
Rejections come, what a pity
Email pings, my heart sings
My God, I got a request!

4 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

OMG, this is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E

Merry Monteleone said...

Hi Erica,

Glad you liked it :-) I love song parodies. You should check out the link. She got over 60 entries in the comments section and some of them were laugh out loud hysterical.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Travis Erwin said...

You nailed it.