Monday, January 03, 2011

Pitch Critique to Ring in 2011

I love the smell of red ink in the morning... well, it's afternoon, but you get the idea.

In my last post, I asked if some of you might like to open the new year by participating in a pitch critique session. I haven't done one in quite a while, but they're a great way to get feedback on your pitch, narrow down your focus for a new work, and just flex your muscles creatively. Pitching, for me, is harder than writing. It's more marketing and understanding the business end of publishing, and less about the play of words. It's a balance I think you have to attain in order to get to the next level. Personally, I get just as much for critiquing for others as I do getting my own work critiqued.

So, we haz sum rulz:

Any and all writers are welcome to participate. No matter where you are in your journey, from newer writer to seasoned veteran, the more the merrier.

It is NOT mandatory to submit a pitch. I know some people aren't ready or don't like having too many eyes on their own material and that's fine. You're still more than welcome to critique or comment on other peoples' pitches.

If you do submit a pitch, it IS mandatory to critique others. This is just a little sideline I like to include because, depending on what writing loop you're on, sometimes people stick around to get feedback on their own work but are less inclined, for whatever reason, to give the same feedback to others. This way, each participant will at least have some feedback coming their way.

ALL feedback must be constructive. (I have to note here, I have never had a problem with this on this blog, all of my writing friends are awesome.) But just in case there are some newer posters of a less constructive nature, I reserve the right to delete anything I see as inflammatory or derogatory, or any of the other tories that we no likey.

If you would like to submit a pitch to critique, please send it to: merry(dot)monteleone(at)gmail(dot)com

I was going to leave this option open, if you guys would like the critiques to be blind, as in I don't tell you who wrote it, that's fine. Let me know in comments or if you don't want your name on yours you can let me know when you submit the pitch.

I don't know how many pitches I'll be receiving, so depending on the volume, I might post one with my critique at a time, and then the comments would be open to other writer's critiques... or I might post two or more on a post, if there are a lot of them... I'll also try to let everyone know via email when their pitch goes up. But keep checking back anyway just to participate in the rest of them.

I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait to play!

9 comments:

Jean Ann Williams said...

Sounds good, Merry. I'll work on my pitch.

Merry Monteleone said...

Yay, Jean! Can't wait to read it.

Also, for anyone participating the vicious marsupial is allowing a pitch as a point in the annual Koala Challenge.

PJD said...

Vicious? Vicious! Wow, all this time I just thought the Koala was a thick, slow-moving liquid. Really gotta get those eyes checked.

Anyway, I'll critique when I can. If I can toss together a pitch, I might play, too.

Merry Monteleone said...

Hey Pete,

Obviously you've never gotten the Koala Smackdown.

It's good for an easy (yeah, cuz pitches are soooo easy) point with the koala. But I'd love to have you participate in critiques or pitching or both. =)

Jean Ann Williams said...

Merry,

Do we pitch here? Just checking, because I have mine ready. Did I say I'm ready? Can't wait to learn more about what you all think.

Merry Monteleone said...

Yay, Jean!!!

You're my first victim... er, umn, volunteer =)

You can post here if you like, or send it to me in an email at merry(dot)monteleone(at)gmail(dot)com

In either case, I'll copy your pitch, include my own critique below and post it on the blog for other writers to critique in the comments section.

I look forward to reading it!

Jean Ann Williams said...

CLAIRELEE A.D. (AFTER DISASTER)
An Excerpt
by
Jean Ann Williams


One mother damaged, one family tested, one daughter determined to find her place.

At thirteen years old, ClaireLee Monteiro’s family life becomes a shambles. Feeling incapable of taking Mama’s position in the home, she longs for acceptance at school. She sets out to impress Wendy Lavender and her school cronies, and so she lies.

While the Lavender Girls Club receives ClaireLee into their fold, they do not choose her best buddy, Belinda Cruz. How far will ClaireLee wander from honesty, her devoted friend, and a feeble mother’s love?

Merry Monteleone said...

Hi Jean Ann,

I got it! =)

I have a paid posting to put up and then I'll post yours along with my critique for discussion either tomorrow night or monday morning. Yay!

Jean Ann Williams said...

Thanks so much, Merry.