Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Trying to get a little work in

So many things to do. My writing is taking off but it takes so much time to stay on top of it, and there is only so much time in the day. I got the kids off to school and debated with myself to keep away from the damn computer. I know, once I've started, I'll barely get any housework or bills taken care of until dinner time. That's what happens, I spend hours writing, what should take me half the time, because I keep getting interrupted here and there and everywhere. I should spend a good few hours straightening up first, I know.


If I could only stay on a good routine, maybe I could begin to improve my time. Get the writing out quicker, and get back to regular submissions. I prefer to take my time on the fiction, crossing the t's and dotting the I's, relishing every moment of prose. But the freelance, it doesn't pay to take all the time you need to make impeccable prose. To make a decent venture of it, it seems that being quick and precise is better than being good.



I wonder if there's a market out there for good. There used to be. Business writing was a finesse and you could take your time knowing the wage would be fair at the end of the assignment. So many business people just want content now, not knowing the difference between good and barely readable. Wouldn't it make better sense to pay one writer a good wage to make their website look professional? I know I don't give much credence to a website with shlock writing, why would anyone else?



If I could take my time with the business writing, I might enjoy it better, but right now it's just a means to an end... A little way to make money from writing while I'm working on the real work of fiction.... We'll see where it goes.

No comments: