Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Working with the kids home

So two of my three kids are home for the day. The doctor said that they can go back to school tomorrow, and they will be fine, though I'm going to pull my hair out if I keep trying to work!!!

I've bid a few assignments this morning and tweeked my short, short story entry, to send out to a writer's circle of friends for opinions and advice on revisions before its deadline. It's not due out until the beginning of December, but it's always better to get it done and out of my hands, otherwise I'll procrastinate that last step.

I've put off submitting, or going after any sort of paying work for writing for the last nine years. I've been working on my fiction. I never stopped the writing, but I've been too busy with my full time profession, stay at home mom, to really pursue making a living at writing. The time is right. My youngest is in pre-school now and it's either go after the dream, or resign myself to some office job that I don't love once the kids are all in school. We've made due on one income in order for me to stay home and raise my own children, but we can't save effectively, or be ready for college and all of that without the extra income - my goal is not to give up the dream....

I'm going to make it work. I have this year to get my income up to a respectable level, if I can do that, it'll be permanent. If I can do that, I won't have to settle for a job that's just good enough until my kids are grown. If I can do that, I can be what I've always envisioned for myself. Hard road? Damn right, but it's worth a shot - better to try and fail than never know. I'm optimistic and it's already picking up. We'll see where tomorrow goes.

But for today, I have two kids sitting at the kitchen table doing artwork.... Today, I'll play, because that's as much my job as the laundry and cooking - and a lot more fun.

No comments: